A. TOO EASY TO THINK WE ARE BETTER THAN WE ARE.
B. WHEN WE GET TOO BIG FOR OUR BRITCHES, WE ARE GOOD TARGETS FOR THE
C. PRIDE IS A GOOD ATTITUDE TO AVOID ( Prov. 8:13; 11:2; 16:18; 29:23 )
D. A PRODUCT OF AN EVIL HEART (Mark 7:21-23).
“a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether
as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc” Dictionary.com
A. Rom. 12:3. AN OVERESTIMATION OF ONE’S VALUE, IMPORTANCE OR ABILITY.
B. LINKED TO SELFISHNESS (Phil. 2:3-4). “I’m better, therefore, I deserve more.”
A. SPIRITUALLY HUMBLE – REALIZING SMALLNESS (Psa. 144:3-4).
1. Consider man’s place in the cosmos.
2. Consider man’s effect on his environment (Ecc. 1).
B. A TRAIT NECESSARY FOR MEMBERS OF THE BODY (Matt. 18:1-4).
1. Beware! the temptation to over-inflate (Rom. 12:3; Matt. 3:9).
2. Dare we compare ourselves to others? (2 Cor. 10:12; Luke 18:9-14).
3. Jesus is the standard (John 12:48; Acts 17:30-31). How do we compare now?
4. How important are we? (1 Cor. 12:21-22)
5. Put the other first (Phil. 2:1-4).
6. Lowliness springing out of that Love (Eph. 4:1-3; 1 Cor. 13:4).
D. CONTRAST WITH THE PHARISEES (Luke 18:9-14).
C. WE ARE TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON GOD.
1. Man has nowhere to brag (Prov. 14:12; Jer. 10:23; 1 Cor. 10:12; 1:21; 3:18).
2. All are sinners (Rom. 3:9, 23).
SAVED BY GRACE!
A. WE MUST HUMBLE OURSELVE TO OBEY AS JESUS DID (Phil. 2:5-8).
B. IF WE HUMBLE OURSELVES, GOD WILL LIFT US UP (James 4:10)