A. PAUL PRESENTS US WITH A MYSTERY( vs. 26 ).
B. OUR OBJECT IS TO DISCOVER AS MUCH AS WE CAN ABOUT IT.
A. GREEK: musterion, "1. A hidden or secret thing, not obvious to the understanding.
2. A hidden purpose or counsel; secret will" ( Thayer ).
B. FOUND ALSO IN Eph. 1:9. Read "in him."
MYSTERY - GOD'S PLAN OR ETERNAL PURPOSE IN CHRIST.
C. WHAT DID GOD PLAN FOR US IN CHRIST?
1. Every blessing( Eph. 1:3; 2 Pet. 1:3; John 14:2 ).
2. Chosen in him from before the foundation of the world.
a. "Chosen," eklektos, "picked out." The election has its ground in Jesus.
b. "Before the foundation of the world"( 1 Pet. 1:18-20; Eph. 3:11 ).
c. Purpose of the selection: holy - separate, different.
without blemish - blameless as a sacrifice.
3. Having foreordained us unto "adoption as sons."
a. "Foreordaned," pro-oridzo, "denotes to bind, set a boundary."
b. What was foreordained? "adoption as sons."
4. Blessing secured through the blood.
a. Redemption- deliverance from trespasses( Rom. 6:23 ).
b. The forgiveness of sin - Remember no more( Heb. 8:12 ).
A. IN THE PAST, GOD'S PURPOSE WAS A MYSTERY.
B. IN OTHER GENERATIONS IT WAS NOT MADE KNOWN( Eph. 3:5 ).
1. Only partly revealed in prophecy( Heb. 1:1-2; 1 Pet. 1:10-12 ).
2. These prophecies were for our benefit primarily( 1 Pet. 12 ).
To whom it was revealed.
A. THESE THINGS( the mystery )ANNOUNCED( explained ).
B. THROUGH THEM THAT PREACHED THE GOSPEL.
1. Who were these( Eph. 3:5 ).
2. Where did they come by their info? The Spirit.
3. The result( 1 Cor. 2:12-13, 16; Eph. 3:3-4 ).
A. PAUL'S MINISTRY.
1. Involves suffering( vs. 24 ).
2. Appointed by God( vs. 25 ).
3. Makes known God's will to the Gentiles( vs. 27 ).
B. THE OBJECT: PRESENT EVERY MAN PERFECT( vs. 28-29 ).
C. GOD'S INSTRUMENT( Phil. 2:12-13; 4:13 ).
D. EXHORTATION( 2:6-7 ).
1. Walk worthily( vs. 6 ).
2. Rooted and builded up in him( vs. 7a ).
3. Thankful( vs. 7b ).
A. ARE YOU IN CHRIST?
B. ARE YOU ROOTED AND BUILDED UP IN HIM?