A. CHRIST HAS BEEN THE CENTER OF OUR PREVIOUS LESSONS.
B. CHRIST IS THE FULNESS OF GODHOOD & COMPLETENESS
FOR THE CHRISTIAN.
A. TAKE HEED(Eph. 5:15; 1 Pet. 5:8). LEST ANY MAN MAKE SPOIL OF YOU.
1. His philosophy - "denotes love & pursuit of wisdom"( Vine ).
Vain, "empty, with special reference to quality" ( Vine ).
Deceit, "that which give a false impression" ( Vine ).
Human philosophy is an empty lie!!
( Prov. 14:12; Rom 1:18-23 ).
2. After the traditions of men.
a. As opposed to that which comes from God( 1 Cor. 11:2 ).
b. Paul preached that which came from God( Gal. 1:11-12 ).
c. Anything else is vain( Matt. 15:7-9; 13-14 ).
3. After the rudiments of the world.
a. The very basic principles of religion, Jew or Gentile( vs. 20 ).
b. Also called "weak and beggarly elements"( Gal. 4:3-5, 8-11 ).
C. WHAT ARE SOME OF THESE TEACHINGS?
1. Human philosophies such as Humanism, Existentialism, New Age, etc.
2. Human religion such as Catholicism, Eastern rel., denominationalism.
3. In our text - Judaism.
A. CHRIST, THE FULNESS OF GODHOOD( vs. 9 ).
1. Godhood - theotes, "fulness of deity" ( A&G ).
2. Angel & creation are not to be compared to him( Heb. 1 ).
3. "Bodily" ( John 1:14 ).
B. IN WHOM THE CHRISTIAN IS MADE FULL( vs. 10-15 ).
1. We are the circumcision - What is this?( vs. 11 ).
a. Union with God in the covenant( Gen. 17 ).
b. Surgery: Jew, flesh; Us, control by flesh
( Col. 3:5; Rom. 2:28 ).
2. When does this happen?( vs. 12 ).
a. Baptism a burial.
b. Also a cutting off of sin( Acts 2:38; Rom. 6:3-7 ).
3. What again? Being dead, made alive( vs. 13-15 ).
a. Dead through trespasses( Rom. 6:23 ).
b. Through uncircumcision.
1. Having forgiven us all our trespasses.
2. Having blotted out the bond.
3. Having despoiled the principalities.
5. Implications( vs. 16-23 ).
A. CHRIST IS THE CENTER OF GOD'S PLAN.
B. CHRIST IS THE CENTER OF OUR HOPE( Col. 3:1-4 ).
C. IS JESUS THE CENTER OF YOUR LIFE?