A. BACKGROUND FROM LAST WEEK.
1. "Put off," earthly members, them all the old man with his doings.
2. "Put on" New man like God, a heart, love.
B. THIS REPENTANCE, NEW BIRTH, WILL EFFECT OUR RELATIONS.
A. PEACE OF CHRIST - DERIVES FROM FAITH( vs. 15 ).
1. It'll rule( 2 Cor. 5:7; Rom. 14:23 ).
2. Derives from an active faith( Phil. 4:6-7 ).
B. CALLED IN ONE BODY( vs. 15; Acts 5:42 ).
1. Implies association( Rom. 12:9-10 ).
2. Implies cooperation( Rom. 12:4-5 ).
C. THE WORD IS TO DWELL IN US( vs. 16 ).
1. Implies knowledge( 2 Pet. 1:3; 3:18 ).
2. Implies meditation( Psa. 1:1-2 ).
3. Implies practical application( Psa. 119:105; Heb. 5:12-14 ).
4. It will spill over to others( Col. 3:16 ).
D. OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD CHRIST( vs. 17 ). Submission and Appreciation.
A. WIVES ARE TO BE IN SUBJECTION.
1. As is fitting.
a. Adam was first formed( 1 Cor. 11:3, 8-10 ).
b. Adam was not beguiled( 1 Tim. 2:11-14 ).
2. Eph. 5:22-24. As unto the Lord, as Christ is head.
a. All authority( Col. 3:17 ).
b. We are told to obey elders, but( 1 Pet. 5:3 ).
3. 1 Pet. 3:1-6. In a tough situation.
B. HUSBANDS, LOVE YOUR WIVES ... BE NOT BITTER.
1. Eph. 5:25ff. Compares to Christ's headship.
a. Includes Christ's love - Sacrifice.
b. What gave Jesus the right?( Heb. 5:8-9 ).
2. Loving your wife is loving yourself( Eph. 5:28-31 ).
3. 1 Pet. 3:7. That your prayers be not hindered.
A. CHILDREN, OBEY YOUR PARENTS.
1. God's order( Eph. 6:1 ). "In the Lord."
a. Parents wisdom thru experience( Prov. 3:1-4; Eph. 6:2-3 ).
b. Parents motivated by love and desire for what's good.
B. FATHERS, PROVOKE NOT YOUR CHILDREN.
1. Eph. 6:4. To wrath, God's wrath, that they be not discouraged.
a. Either by abuse.
b. Or neglect. Nurture them.
- chastening( Prov. 13:24; 22:15; 23:13-14 ).
- admonition( Prov. 22:6 ).
2. Awesome and difficult responsibility.
A. NOT THE SAME, MAJOR DIFFERENCES. SOME THINGS APPLY.
B. SERVANTS OBEY ( vs. 22 ).
1. Not hypocritically - sincerity.
2. Who are we really working for?( vs. 23-24 ).
3. God will recompense( vs. 24-25 ).
4. 1 Pet. 2:18. Tough situation. If you can't obey, you can quit. Don't pretend.
C. MASTERS, RENDER JUST AND EQUAL( 1 Tim. 5:18 ).
1. Not to use threats or abuse( Eph. 6:9 ).
2. What if he does?( Eph. 6:9 ).
A. CONTINUE IN PRAYER.
B. CONTINUE IN CONCERN FOR OTHERS.
C. REDEEM THE TIME.
A. THE BEST LIFE IS IN CHRIST.
B. ARE YOU IN CHRIST?( Gal. 3:26-27 ).