A. FOCAL POINT OF GOD’S PLAN – JESUS DEATH ON THE CROSS.
1. All things summed up in Christ.
2. Planned from before the foundation of the world.
3. ALL spiritual blessings come through him.
4. We are made full in Christ (Col. 2:9-10).
B. PAUL STATES THAT THE CHURCH IS THE FULNESS OF CHRIST (vs. 23).
C. OUR TEXT IS A PRAYER THAT PAUL OFFERS ON BEHALF OF MEMBERS OF
THE CHURCH IN THE CITY OF EPHESUS. WE WILL STUDY THIS PRAYER.
A. HE HAD HEARD OF THEIR FAITH AND THEIR LOVE.
B. THESE CAUSED HIM TO GIVE THANKS.
A. (vs. 17) THAT THEY MAY POSSESS A SPIRIT OF WISDOM AND
REVELATION INTHE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD AND CHRIST.
1. “Spirit” here is not the Holy Spirit. It is a disposition that reflects wisdom and
understanding of God and his Son (1 Cor. 2:14-16).
2. How is this spirit characterized?
a. Eph. 5:15-17. Careful and discriminating.
b. Eph. 4:17-19. Humble and dependent upon God.
c. James 3:12-18. Focused on that which is above, reflected in behavior.
3. “Revelation in the knowledge of him.”
a. Our knowledge of God is a gift from God.
b. God reveals himself in his son (John 1:18).
c. This spirit which reflects wisdom and knowledge is a gift from God.
B. (vs. 18-19) THE THEY MAY KNOW …
1. What is the hope of his calling (Acts 24:15; 2 Cor. 4:13-14).
2. What is the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints.
a. We are his heritage (Eph. 1:11; 2 Cor. 6:16-18).
b. As God’s heritage we reflect and share his glory (1 Pet. 2:9; Eph. 2:6-7).
c. We enjoy Sonship and Fatherly protection (Rom. 8:16-17; 31).
3. What is the exceeding greatness of his power to usward who believe.
a. The power of God is a gift to the believer as it is promised to work for him.
b. It is according to the strength of his might – omnipotence (Jer. 32:17).
c. His power was visibly demonstrated in the resurrection and exaltation of Christ (vs. 20; 1 Pet. 1:3)
d. That power is working for us (Phil. 2:12-13; 4:13).
A. THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD IN HEAVENLY PLACES (Acts 2:34-36).
B. ABOVE ALL AUTHORITY OR SYMBOL OF AUTHORITY (Matt. 28:18).
1. In this world č civil, family, social, etc.
2. In that which is to come č Heaven.
C. ABOVE ALL THINGS TO THE CHURCH WHICH IS HIS BODY (Col. 3:17).
A. EVERY SPIRITUAL BLESSING OF GOD IS IN CHRIST (Eph. 1:3; Col. 2:9-10).
B. EVERY SPIRITUAL BLESSING IN CHRIST IS IN THE CHURCH.
C. THE CHURCH IS HIS BODY (vs. 23; 5:23).
A. HOW DOES ONE GET INTO THE CHURCH TO ENJOY THESE BLESSINGS?
(1 Cor. 12:13).
B. HOW DO YOU GET INTO CHRIST? (Gal. 3:26-27).