A. LAST WEEK THE PAST CONDITION OF THE EPHESIAN CHRISTIANS.
1. They were dead in their sins.
2. They had been raised spiritually through Christ.
B. THIS LESSON WE VIEW THE PAST CONDITION OF THE GENTILES AGAIN.
1. Separated from God because of their sin.
2. Reconciled through Christ in the church.
A. UNCIRCUMCISED IN THE FLESH – NOT IN COVENANT RELATION WITH
GOD (Gen. 17).
B. SEPARATE FROM CHRIST – UNAWARE OF THE ONLY SAVIOR (Acts 4:12).
C. ALIENATED FROM THE COMMONWEALTH OF ISRAEL – NOT THE PEOPLE
OF GOD ( 2 Cor. 6:16-17 č Rom. 8:16, 31ff. ).
D. STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANTS OF THE PROMISE – NOT RECIPIENTS
OF GOD’S BLESSING (Gen. 12:1-3).
E. NO HOPE – NONE IN REALITY – IGNORANT OF GOD’S WILL AND GOD
HIMSELF (Acts 24:15).
F. WITHOUT GOD IN THE WORLD – SPIRITUALLY DEAD
(Eph. 2:1; Isa. 59:1-2; 1 John 1:6).
FAR OFF FROM GOD AND GOD’S PEOPLE!
A. RECONCILIATION IS THROUGH CHRIST (vs. 13-14). HE IS OUR PEACE
(2 Cor. 5:18).
B. WHAT DOES CHRIST DO TO RECONCILE?
1. What separated the Jew and Gentile? (Josh. 23:12-13). The Law of Moses!
(vs. 14-15; Col. 2:13-14).
a. Brake down the middle wall of partition – That which separates.
b. Abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law
that which put the Jew and Gentile at odds.
2. When was this done? How did he do this?
a. Through his blood (vs. 13 č 1 Pet. 1:18-19; Eph. 1:7; Acts 20:28).
b. Through the cross (vs. 16)
- Why were we dead? (Rom. 6:23).
- Jesus bore our sins for us (1 Pet. 2:24; Rom. 3:23-26).
c. The law was given to bring us to this point (Gal. 3:23-25).
d. Therefore, the OT law was nailed to the cross (Col. 2:13-15).
3. The purpose č Reconciliation (vs. 15-16).
a. That he might create in himself of the two one new man, so making peace
(vs. 15). - No longer any difference in Christ (Col. 3:11).
RECONCILED TO GOD!
b. That he might reconcile them both in one body unto God (vs. 16).
- the body of reconciliation is the church (Eph. 1:22-23).
- reconciled to God outside the church? (Acts 2:47; Eph. 5:23).
- Is there more than one body? One church? (Eph. 4:4; 1 Cor. 1:10).
4. vs. 17. When this was done “peace” was preached to both Jew and Gentile.
a. Through the apostles (2 Cor. 5:18-21).
b. As they were guided by the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 2:12-13).
c. Through Christians (Phil. 2:15-16).
d. Through the church (1 Tim. 3:15; Eph. 3:10, 20-21; Rev. 22:17).
C. vs. 18. THIS IS PAUL’S EXPLANATION OF HOW BOTH JEW AND GENTILE
HAVE ACCESS TO GOD.
1. Through Christ (John 14:6).
2. In one Spirit (1 Cor. 12:13).
3. In one body (Eph. 2:16).
A. WOULD YOU BE A MEMBER OF THE BODY OF THE RECONCILED, THE
B. HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT BECOMING ONE?