A. Ch. 1 – CHRIST’S PART IN GOD’S PLAN OF SALVATION.
B. FROM THEIR, PAUL DISCUSSES THE CHURCH, ITS PLACE AND NATURE.
C. FROM THIS POINT HE DISCUSSES THE CHARACTER AND CONDUCT OF
THE INDIVIDUAL AND HOW IT IS EFFECTED BY THE SCHEME OF
A. IN THE VANITY OF THEIR MIND – TRUSTING IN THEIR OWN INTELLECT.
1. Felt wisdom was the answer to all spiritual questions (1 Cor. 1:21-25).
2. They thought they had that wisdom (Rom. 1:22).
3. the wise man is the one who realizes his foolishness (1 Cor. 3:18).
B. THEY WERE DARKENED IN THEIR UNDERSTANDING (1 Cor. 2:14).
C. ALIENATED FROM THE LIFE OF GOD (Eph. 2:1; 12).
D. WHY? BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE ó HARDNESS OF HEART (Rom 1:20-26).
E. CHARACTER MANIFESTED IN GROSS IMMORALITY (Rom. 1:26-32).
A. IF THEY LEARNED TRUTH IN CHRIST THEY WOULDN’T LIVE THIS WAY.
B. THE RESULT OF LEARNING THE TRUTH IN CHRIST (vs. 22-24).
1. Put away the old man [former manner of life]. This man was growing more and
more corrupt in sin and being deceived (Col. 3:5, 9).
2. That ye be renewed in the spirit of your mind (Rom. 12:2).
3. Put on the new man that after God was created in holiness and righteousness of
truth [revealed in the truth of the gospel] (Col. 3:9-10; 2 Cor. 5:17).
4. Meaning of the anology:
a. Man was created in the image of God [image & character] (Gen. 1:26).
b. Sin mars the image – no longer the same in character.
c. Through Christ we are like God again – no sin – holy and righteous.
A. WE ARE NOT TO LIE ANYMORE (vs. 25; Rev. 21:8).
B. WE ARE TO CONTROL OUR TEMPERS (vs. 26-27).
1. Be reconciled as soon as possible (Matt. 5:23-24).
2. Uncontrolled anger is the tool of the devil (Rom. 12:18-21).
C. THIEVES ARE TO STOP STEALING(vs 28).
1. Alternative – WORK (2 Thess. 3:10).
2. To provide for his own and those who are in need (1 Tim. 5:8; Gal. 6:10).
D. STOP SPEAKING CORRUPT THINGS (vs. 29; Eph. 5:3-5).
1. Speak that which builds up.
2. Give grace to those that hear.
E. GRIEVE NOT THE SPIRIT –BY OUR DISOBEDIENCE (vs. 30).
1. Christians are sealed by the Spirit (1:13).
2. Our seal is gone if we grieve him.
F. CHANGE IS FINALLY MANIFESTED IN OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD EACH
OTHER (vs. 31-32).
A. THIS MEANS TO WALK IN LOVE (1 John 4:19).
B. OUR LOVE IS TO BE LIKE CHRIST’S:
1. Love moved him to sacrifice himself (John 15:13).
2. We are to sacrifice ourselves to his will (Gal. 2:20).
A. CHRISTIANS ARE A CHANGED PEOPLE.
B. HIS WALKS NO LONGER IN THE VANITY OF HIS MIND, BUT BY WHAT
HE HAS LEARNED IN CHRIST.
WHAT MUST WE DO?