A. EACH ONE OF US HAS A PLACE GIVEN BY GOD.
1. Responsibilities and “talents” in the church.
2. In other relationships.
B vs. 21. SUBJECT TO ONE ANOTHER.
1. Submission to Christ is necessary to have a relationship with him.
2. Submission to Christ demands keeping in our place in these other relationships.
C. PAUL DISCUSSES EVERYDAY RELATIONSHIPS –
1. Emphasizes family.
2. Includes work relations.
A. SUBMIT – BE IN SUBJECTION
“hupotasso; to subordinate; reflexively, to obey.” Strong (In verses 21 and 24).
1. As unto the Lord (Matt. 28:18; Col. 3:17).
a. Should the husband have all authority?
b. Should he not remember his own imperfection?
c. Shouldn’t he remember that he has a master?
3. We are told to obey elders, but … (1 Pet. 5:3).
4. As Christ is head of the church, the savior of the body.
5. As the church is subject to Christ – IN EVERYTHING.
B. WHY? (1 Tim. 2:11-14).
1. Adam was first formed (1 Cor. 11:3, 8-9).
2. Adam was not beguiled – Eve was.
C. EFFECTS RELATIONSHIPS IN THE CHURCH (1 Tim. 2:11-12; 1 Cor. 14:33-36).
D. PASSAGES FOR FURTHER REFLECTION:
(Titus 2:3-5; 1 Tim. 2:9-12; 1 Pet. 3:1-6).
A. HUSBAND’S DUTY COMPARED TO CHRIST’S HEADSHIP (vs. 25-27).
1. If we are like Christ in being head, we should be like him in sacrificing self.
2. What gave Christ the right to be the head? (Heb. 5:8-9).
B. LOVING YOUR WIFE IS LOVING YOURSELF (vs. 28-31).
1. The man is one flesh with his wife (vs. 31).
2. Christ cares for those who are of his body (Matt. 10:29-31).
C. SUMMARY (vs. 33).
D. ALSO A GREAT LESSON FOR THE CHURCH (vs. 32).
1. Christ is the head (vs. 23).
2. He died for it (vs. 25).
3. He cleansed it with the washing of water with the word (vs. 25-26).
A. IN THE LORD – IN ACCORD WITH HIS WILL (Matt. 10:29-31) THIS IS RIGHT!
B. HOW DOES GOD REGARD THE DISOBEDIENT TO T PARENTS? (Rom. 1:26-32).
C. HONOR THY FATHER AND THY MOTHER …FROM THE OLD LAW
1. Means more than thinking highly of them (Matt. 15:1-6).
2. Brings blessing (vs. 3; Prov. 3:1-2).
A. EITHER BY ABUSE OR NEGLECT.
B. NURTURE THEM
1. In the chastening (Prov. 13:24; 23:13-14; Heb. 12:3-11).
2. Admonition (Prov. 22:6; 2 Tim. 1:5; 1 Tim. 5:3).
A. “FEAR & TREMBLING” – PROPER RESPECT FOR YOUR MASTER AND HIS.
B. “IN SINGLENESS OF HEART, AS UNTO CHRIST” – NOT HYPOCRITCALLY.
C. “NOT IN THE WAY OF EYESERVICE” – DON’T FOOL HIM, WORK FOR HIM!
D. SERVE AS YOU WOULD THE LORD (vs. 6-7).
E. GOD WILL INCREASE THE REWARD (vs. 8).
A. MASTERS ARE NOT TO USE THREATS OR ABUSE.
B. WHAT IF ONE DOES? (1 Pet. 2:18-20).
C. HE ALSO HAS A MASTER.
A. EACH ONE OF THESE RELATIONSHIPS IS SET IN ORDER BY GOD.
B. EACH CAN BE COMPARED TO OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM.
C. GOD IS HEAD – HUSBAND – FATHER – MASTER.
D. WE ARE THE BODY – BRIDE – CHILD – SERVANT.