A. PAUL SAYS ALL THAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM, INCLUDING HIS
SUFFERING, HAS BEEN FOR THE PROGRESS OF THE GOSPEL.
B. HOW DID HIS IMPRISONMENT CONTRIBUTE TO THE PROGRESS?
A. COMPANY OF SOLDIERS PERMANENTLY STATIONED AT ROME.
B. PAUL WAS GUARDED BY SOLDIERS IN ROME IN HIS OWN HIRED HOUSE
( Acts 28:16, 30-31 ).
C. THESE SAME SOLDIERS GUARDED CAESAR’S PALACE( Phil. 4:21-22 ).
A. FOR DIFFERING REASONS.
1. Some of good will and love( vs. 15-16 ).
2. Some of envy and strife( vs. 15, 17 ).
B. PAUL REJOICED IN THE RESULT.
1. Paul’s purpose was not exaltation of self( 1 Cor. 2:1-5 ).
2. His mission in life( Eph. 3:8-9 ).
3. The knew the cost( 2 Cor. 12:15 ).
4. He also was aware of the reward( vs. 19-20 ). SALVATION!
a. From prison?
C. THIS CONFORMED TO HIS EXPECTATION AND HOPE( vs. 20 ).
1. That he never be put to shame in the Gospel( Rom. 1:16; 2 Tim. 1:12 ).
2. That with all boldness, Christ is magnified in his body( 2 Cor. 4:7-15 ).
a. Whether by life – the way he lived( Matt. 5:16 ).
b. Or by death – his death would signify the Gospel’s importance
( Acts 20:24 ).
A. TO LIVE IS CHRIST – TO DIE IS GAIN, A DIFFICULT CHOICE( vs. 21-24 ).
1. Dying means the end of suffering and being with Jesus( 2 Cor. 5:1-9 ).
2. Living in the flesh is needful for their sakes( vs. 24 ).
a. Redeemed for a purpose( Titus 2:13-14 ).
b. Paul had a use among them( vs. 25-26 ).
B. REGARDLESS OF THE OUTCOME.
1. Walk worthily of the gospel( vs. 27 ).
a. Call to purity.
b. Call to a common cause – unity in action.
2. In nothing be affrighted( vs. 28 ).
a. Their suffering an evident token of the adversary’s perdition.
b. But of your salvation( 1 Pet. 1:6-9 ).
c. Suffering would come for them( vs. 27-30 ).
d. And it will for us( vs. 21-23 ).
A. HOW WE APPROACH DEATH DEPENDS ON OUR PURPOSE IN LIFE.
B. WOULD IT TRULY BE GAIN FOR ME TO DIE?
C. TO DIE IS GAIN, IF TO LIVE IS (for) CHRIST!