A. LAST LESSON – THE MIND OF CHRIST – HUMBLE, OBEDIENT.
B. JESUS WAS HIGHLY EXALTED FOR THIS ATTITUDE.
C. WE ARE TO WORK OUT OUR OWN SALVATION. WHAT IS INVOLVED?
A. katergazomai, “Bring about, produce, or create.” – A&G. “Work out, achieve,
Effect by toil.” – Vine. Something I must do to bring about my own Salvation.
It doesn’t not mean “figure out.” ( Jer. 10:23; Prov. 16:25 ).
B. MAN IS IN NO WAY HIS OWN SAVIOR, BUT HE SAVES HIMSELF( Acts 2:40 ).
C. JESUS IS THE ONLY PROVIDER OF SALVATION( Acts 4:12 ).
D. THOUGH WE MUST WORK OUT OUR SALVATION, IT IS NOT DESERVED.
WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE( Eph. 2:8-9 ).
E. HOW DOES GRACE SAVE?
1. Provides a sacrifice( Rom. 3:23-26 ).
2. It instructs us( Titus 2:11-12 ).
F. THERE IS SOMETHING I MUST DO(James 1:21-22; Matt. 7:21 ).
G. IT IS NOT OF ME OR DESERVED BY ME.
A. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
1. Jesus did his part – so must I( James 1:21-22 ).
2. As Christ was glorified at the conclusion of his work, so will we. When?
3. Our salvation will be determined by what we have done( 2 Cor. 5:10 ).
B. PAUL IS TALKING OF THE END RESULT OF OUR FAITH. WE ARE SAVED IN
THE SENSE OUR SINS ARE GONE, BUT WE AREN’T IN HEAVEN YET
( 1 Pet. 1:9 ).
A. GREAT DANGER ( 1 Pet. 5:8 ).
B. GREAT RESPONSIBILITY – THE ETERNAL SOUL( James 3:1 ).
C. SPEAKS OF OUR REVERENCE FOR GOD ( Heb. 12:28-29 ).
A. GOD WORKS IN US.
1. We are his agents – God works as we work!
2. We are now his servants rather than sin’s( Rom. 6:12-13, 17-18 ).
B. “BOTH TO WILL AND TO WORK.”
1. A sacrifice of our wills for God’s will( 1 Pet. 4:1-2 ).
2. God’s promise is the Power behind our wills( 2 Cor. 5:1-7 ).
3. Whatever God asks we can do ( Phil. 4:13 ).
D. “FOR HIS GOOD PLEASURE.”
1. eudokia, “good pleasure, implies a gracious purpose, a good object.” – Vine.
2. God energizes us to do his will and make it our own.
a. It is God’s plan, his wisdom that reigns in us ( Isa. 55:8-9; Gal. 2:20 ).
b. God gives the knowledge ( 2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:3 ).
c. He gives the wisdom ( James 1:5 ).
d. He gives the fortitude ( Eph. 6:10-13 ).
e. To Him goes the Glory ( 1 Pet. 4:10-11 ).
3. His good pleasure is for our salvation, not his entertainment.
A. JESUS HAS THROUGH GRACE PROVIDED SALVATION.
B. BUT WE MUST WORK IT OUT.
C. WHEN WE DO OUR PART, GOD PROVIDES THE STRENGTH WE NEED.
D. ARE YOU WILLING TO DO THAT?
1. To obey the Lord for salvation’s sake?
2. To be his instrument in accomplishing His Good Pleasure?