A. PAUL WAS IN PRISON BEING TRIED FOR HIS FAITH.
B. WHILE HE WAS THERE, HE WAS SERVED BY TWO MEN.
1. Timothy was his own charge ( Acts 16:1-3 ). Very close, even at Paul’s death.
2. Epaphroditus mentioned only here and in ch. 4. From the Philippian church.
A. HE WILL CARE FOR YOUR STATE ( vs. 20 ).
1. In Timothy was a true concern for others.
2. We ought to have the same attitude ( Rom. 12:9-13; 1 Pet. 1:22 ).
3. Timothy’s attitude would be seen in action ( 1 John 3:18 ).
B. NO MAN IS LIKEMINDED – TIMOTHY STOOD ALONE WITH PAUL ( vs. 20 ).
1. During Paul’s last days, Timothy was one of the few.
2. Paul served as his pattern ( Acts 20:24 ).
3. He knew he would be rewarded with Paul ( 2 Tim. 4:6-8 ).
4. It is implied that he sought the things of Christ ( Matt. 6:33; Col. 3:1-4 ).
5. Others were not so, they sought physical welfare ( Mark 8:34-38 ).
6. How had Paul instructed them earlier in the chapter? ( 2:1-4 ).
C. TIMOTHY WAS COMPLETELY TRUE IN HIS SERVICE TO CHRIST ( vs. 21 ).
AND TO PAUL ( vs. 22 ).
1. “How beautiful are the feet …” ( Rom. 10:15 ).
2. Paul’s fatherly affection toward his students ( 1 Cor. 4:14-16; 11:1 ).
D. TIMOTHY WAS PAUL’S PERSONAL MESSENGER – HE HOPED TO COME
SHORTLY, HIMSELF ( vs. 23-24; 1:21-26 ).
A. PAUL COMPLIMENTS THIS MAN ( vs. 25 ).
1. My brother – all brethren ( Matt. 23:8; Rom. 8:16-17 ).
a. Affection ( Rom. 12:9-10 ).
b. A special brother.
2. My fellow-worker – shared in the teaching and preaching.
a. Great Commission shared with hearers ( Matt. 28:19-20 ).
b. We all share the debt of salvation ( Rom. 1:14-15 ).
c. Consider the great need ( Matt. 9:37-38 ).
3. My fellow-soldier – hardship, discipline, sacrifice, danger, warfare.
-- These things Epaphroditus had done( 2 Tim. 2:3-4; 4:6-8 ).
B. HE LONGS FOR YOU ALL ( vs. 26 ).
1. He was troubled because of their concern for him and his illness.
2. They should have been concerned ( Rom. 12:15; 1 Pet. 3:8 ).
3. His illness brought him to death’s door ( vs. 27 ).
a. His healing was from God ( James 1:17 ).
b. God doesn’t always let us have our way ( 2 Cor. 12:7-9 ).
c. But his will is always for our benefit ( Rom. 8:28 ).
-- Work for Epaphroditus.
-- Comfort for Paul and the Philippian brethren.
4. Illness contracted while doing the Lord’s work ( vs. 30 ).
a. Same attitude as Paul and Timothy ( 2 Cor. 12:15 ).
b. He then ought to be held in honor ( vs. 29 ).