A. PASSAGE SPEAKS OF UNITY - LITTLE UNITY.
B. BAPTISM DIVISIVE, YET SIMPLE. - IGNORANCE AND PREJUDICE.
C. ONE BAPTISM UNITING GOD'S PEOPLE NEEDS STUDY.
A. WORDS USED IN THE ORIGINAL TEXT:
1. baptidzo, "dip, immerse"( A & G ).
2. baptisma, "Consisting of the processes of immersion, submersion, and
emergence ( from bapto, to dip )" ( Vine ).
B. THE CONTEXT CONFIRMS THIS.
C. HISTORY OF SPRINKLING:
1. First practiced in 250 AD - only for those on their deathbed.
2. First legalized in 753 AD - infants and sick.
3. First acceptance by a Catholic Council at Revenna, 1311 AD.
D. WHAT MUST WE CONCLUDE?
A. IT IS THE COMMAND OF JESUS( Mark 16:16; Acts 10:48 ).
B. IT PUTS ONE "IN CHRIST" ( Rom . 6:3; Gal. 3:27 ).
C. IT PUTS ONE IN A SPECIFIC FELLOWSHIP - THE CHURCH.
1. Eph. 4:4-5; 1 Cor. 12:13; Eph. 5:25-26.
2. Cults and false denominations practice baptism.
a. Incorrectly sometimes, i. e., Catholic, Methodist, Baptist.
b. Sometimes correctly, but baptism is not the only measure.
Mormons, Jews, First Christian Church ( Acts 19:1-7; Luke 3:3 ).
MUST BE BAPTIZED AGAIN!
D. REMISSION OF SINS( Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16 ).
E. IT SAVES( 1 Pet. 3:21 ).
F. Romans 6:3-5.
A. NOT INFANTS. FIRST PRACTICED IN 370 AD. NO NEED( Ez. 18:20 ).
B. NOTICE THESE STATEMENTS OF JESUS( Mat. 28:19-20; Mk. 15:15-16 ).
1. We must be believers( Acts 8:12 ).
2. We must repent( Acts 2:38 ).
3. We must confess his name( Rom. 10:10 ).
A. HAVE YOU BEEN BAPTIZED?
B. HAVE YOU BEEN BAPTIZED CORRECTLY?
1. Voluntarily for the right reason?
2. Did you know what you were doing?
3. Into God's fellowship?