A. WE SHOULD BE READY TO FACE JUDGMENT.
B. GETTING READY INVOLVES TURNING TO THE LORD.
C. SUBMISSION AND OBEDIENCE ARE NECESSARY TO BE READY.
A. IN OUR TEXT CHRIST EMPTIED HIMSELF( Phil. 2:5-11 ).
1. Where was he? He existed in the form of God( vs. 6, see Vine ).
2. His attitude was not one of selfishness – He was willing to let go( 2 Cor. 8:9 ).
a. He emptied himself – His prerogatives, not his nature.
b. He took the form of a servant – From King to servant.
c. he became obedient – even unto death.
3. For this he was highly exalted.
B. JESUS WAS COMMITTED TO GOD AND HIS PURPOSE( 1 Pet. 2:21-24 ).
1. Christ’s behavior in suffering for good is our example.
2. He was sinless – not deceitful.
3. Rather than being vengeful, he gave himself to God and his cause.
a. His purpose was to God’s work( John 4:34 ).
b. Look what he could have had( Matt. 4:8; John 6:15 ).
c. But he was committed to God( Luke 22:42; 1 Pet. 4:19 ).
C. JESUS WAS PERFECT IN LEARNING OBEDIENCE( Heb. 5:8-9 ).
1. Obedience despite hardship and difficulty( Heb. 4:15 ).
2. Christ will save those who obey him( vs. 9 ).
3. Those who do not obey( 2 Thess. 1:7-9 ).
A. HE HAS ALL AUTHORITY( Matt. 28:18 ).
B. HE IS THE HEAD OF ALL SPIRITUAL CREATION( Eph. 1:20-23 ).
C. HE IS BOTH LORD AND CHRIST( Acts 2:36 ).
D. ALL THAT WE DO MUST BE IN HIS NAME( Col. 3:17 ).
E. WE ARE NOT TO GO BEYOND HIS TEACHINGS( 2 John 9 ).
F. WE ARE GOING TO BE JUDGED BY HIS TEACHINGS( John 12:48 ).
G. TRUE DISCIPLES ABIDE IN HIS WORD( John 8:31 ).
H. TO REJECT JESUS IS TO REJECT GOD HIMSELF( Luke 10:16 ).
I. WE MUST THEN SUBJECT OURSELVES TO THE WILL OF CHRIST.
A. THE HOLY SPIRIT REVEALED IT( John 16:13; 1 Cor. 2:10-13 ).
B. THESE THINGS THE APOSTLES WROTE AND PREACHED
( 1 Cor. 2:13; Eph. 3:3-5 ).
C. WHEN WE READ WE CAN UNDERSTAND AS WELL AS PAUL
( 1 Cor. 2:16; Eph. 3:4 ).
D. WE CAN STAND COMPLETE IN HIM( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
A. SOMETIMES DIFFICULT – SOMETIMES EASY TO ANSWER.
B. MOST NEEDFUL TO ANSWER IN REGARD TO SALVATION.
1. It is Christ’s will that we believe on him( John 20:30-31; 2 Tim. 1:12 ).
2. It Christ’s will that we repent of our sins( Acts 26:18 ).
3. The “good confession” is also expected( Rom. 10:10 ).
4. One must be baptized( Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38 ).
C. WE ARE RAISED TO WALK IN NEWNESS OF LIFE( Rom. 6:3-4; 17-18 ).
1. 2 Cor. 5:14-15; Gal. 2:20.
2. As he submitted to the Father in his life, so we submit to him( John 8:31 ).
A. IN ALL THINGS WE ARE TO SUBMIT TO HIM.
B. OUR LIVES MUST BE SURROUNDED BY HIS WILL( James 4:15 ).
C. OUR PRAYERS ARE LIKE JESUS’ PRAYERS, BUT ARE OUR LIVES?
D. HAVE YOU SUBMITTED TO THE LORD?