A. GRACE IS MOST MISUNDERSTOOD TERM.
B. "GRACE" IS THE UNMERITED FAVOR OF GOD.
1. Some think it means man has no part at all in his own salvation.
2. This idea has found root in the church.
C. IN THIS LESSON WE WANT TO SEE WHAT GRACE DOES, HOW GOD
PROVIDES MAN WITH IT, AND WHAT THIS MEANS TO MAN.
A. HE HAS PROVIDED A SACRIFICE.
1. Man sins( Rom. 3:23 ), and sin demands payment( Rom. 6:23 ).
2. Out of his love, God seeks to deliver all men from this death( 1 Tim. 2:4 ).
3. God, thru grace, provides a sacrifice( Heb. 2:9; 1 Pet. 1:18-19; 2:24 ).
B. HE REVEALS THAT SACRIFICE THROUGH GRACE.
1. God reveals this grace thru the gospel( Acts 20:24, 32 ).
2. Romans 10:17; Acts 18:27; 14:3.
3. Called thru his grace( 2 Tim. 1:9 ). How?( 2 Thess. 2:14 ).
C. GRACE TEACHES( Titus 2:11-12 ).
1. But God reveals all his will in the Bible( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
2. To stand in Grace is to stand in the gospel( Rom. 5:2; 1 Cor. 15:1-2 ).
3. Grace not only saves, it defines our lives.
A. GOD'S GRACE GIVEN TO ALL( Titus 2:11 ).
B. MEN CAN REJECT GOD'S GRACE( 2 Cor. 6:2 ).
C. FAITH IS NECESSARY TO HAVE ACCESS TO GRACE( Rom. 5:1-2 ).
1. Salvation is a gift that can be had only if we believe( Eph. 2:8 )
2. Faith, once again, is dispensed in God's word( Rom. 10:17 ).
D. BUT FAITH ALONE IS NOT SUFFICIENT( James 2:24 ).
E. BUT WHAT ABOUT Ephesians 2:8-9?
1. The passage does teach that salvation is not of one's self, it is God's gift.
2. The works is verse 9 are works in which man might be tempted to take credit,
works that in and of themselves merit salvation.
3. If this excludes the necessity of works, what about James 2, Gal. 5:6.
4. The fact is that though man can never make up for his mistakes, God has
placed certain conditions on him for the acquisition of salvation.
5. Grace does not preclude obedience( Heb. 5:8-9; Eph. 2:10 ).
A. YOU CAN ONLY BE SAVED BY GOD'S GRACE.
B. GOD'S GRACE CAN BE YOURS BY FAITH IN GOD( Rom. 10:17 ).
C. SAVING FAITH IS MANIFEST IN OBEDIENT WORKS( Gal. 5:6 ).
D. OUR WORKS WILL NEVER MERIT SALVATION.
E. HOW WERE THESE EPHESIANS SAVED?( Acts 19:5 ).