A. OUR LIVES ABOUND IN BLESSING FROM GOD.
B. LIVES FILLED WITH BLESSING ARE FILLED WITH DUTY.
C. WE NEED TO SEE THE BLESSING AND RESPONSIBILITY.
A. CONSIDER THE BLESSING OF HAVING GOD AS OUR FATHER.
1. He is the source of every good and perfect gift ( James 1:17; Matt. 7:7-11).
2. He provides us comfort in all our afflictions( 2 Cor. 1:3-4 ).
3. When needed, in love He chastises us( Heb. 12:5-11 ).
4. He has promised never to forsake us( Heb. 13:5-6 ).
B. THERE ARE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR HAVING GOD AS OUR FATHER.
1. We must submit to God( James 4:7 ).
a. By submitting to his Son( Heb. 1:1-2 ).
b. By humbling ourselves to his will and care( 1 Pet. 5:6-11 ).
2. We must also draw near to God( James 4:8 ).
a. We draw nearer to God by "cleansing our hands"( Rom. 2:4 ).
b. And "purifying our hearts"( Phil. 4:8; 1 Pet. 1:22 ).
A. He is our "Lord."
1. He who rules over the kings of the earth( Rev. 1:5-6 ).
2. All authority in heaven and earth has been given Him( Matt. 28:18 ).
3. All have been made subject to Him( Eph. 1:20-23 ).
B. He is our "High Priest"( Heb. 4:14 ).
1. Our sacrifice for sin( Heb. 10:10-13 ).
2. Our access to God( Heb. 4:14-16; 10:19-22 )
3. A High Priest who understands our every feeling( Heb. 2:17-18 ).
4. A High Priest who "ever lives" to make intercession ( Heb. 7:24-25 ).
C. WHAT ARE OUR RESPONSIBILITIES OF HAVING JESUS AS LORD AND
1. If He is truly our LORD, we must do what He says( Luke 6:46 ).
a. We must be careful to observe what He taught( Matt. 28:18-20 ).
b. We must respect his authority( Col. 3:17 ).
2. We must also utilize His role as our high priest( Heb. 4:14-16; 10:22-24 ).
A. HOW DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT DWELL IN US?
1. Passages to note: ( Rom. 8:9, 11; 1 Cor. 6:19; 2 Tim. 1:14; Eph. 5:18;
John 14:16-17 ).
2. Note also: Eph. 6:18; Rev. 1:10; 1 Cor. 12:3, 13.
3. Literally, how can the Spirit be in us and us in the Spirit?
WHO IS IN WHOM?
4. Two passages that help.
a. John 14:10, a working relationship described here.
b. John 17:20-21. How are we to be one?
i. "As thou Father art in me and I in thee."
ii. Eph. 4:1-16. Doctrine, Love, Work.
5. Expresses Unity. 1 John 3:24 is nothing more than 1:3-7.
6. We are one with Jesus and his death - into his death( Rom. 6:3-4 ).
7. In any fellowship there is a point of contact( Eph. 5:18-19; Col. 3:16 ).
C. BLESSINGS ARE ATTRIBUTED TO THE HOLY SPIRIT'S INDWELLING.
1. He gives us strength( Eph. 3:16, 20 ).
2. He helps in our weakness acting as an intercessor for us( Rom. 8:26-27 ).
3. Guidance in our daily lives and service( Rom. 8:14; 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
D. WHAT RESPONSIBILITIES DO WE HAVE IN VIEW OF THE SPIRIT'S
1. To keep the temple of God, the church, HOLY( 1 Cor. 3:16-17 ).
2. We are to GLORIFY God even with our bodies( 1 Cor. 6:18-20 ).
3. We are to WALK in the Spirit, being so LED by the Spirit as to produce the
FRUIT of the Spirit( Gal. 5:16-18, 22-24 ).
A. THE BLESSING OF HAVING THE CHURCH AS OUR FAMILY.
1. Members become like fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters( 1 Tim. 5:1-2 ).
2. They can even replace physical relations we may lose when we become
Christians( Mark 10:28-30; Matt. 12:46-50 ).
B. RESPONSIBILITIES OF HAVING THE CHURCH AS OUR FAMILY.
1. We are to "edify one another"( Heb. 10:24-25 ).
a. This necessitates assembling together frequently.
b. This requires each one doing their share( Eph. 4:15-16).
2. We are to "bear one another's burdens"( Gal. 6:1-2 ).
3. John 13:34-35. Love is the key.
A. WE HAVE MANY MORE BLESSINGS AND RESPONSIBILITIES .
B. BUT I HOPE THAT THESE SUFFICE TO IMPRESS UPON US
1. How blessed we are as Christians.
2. How important it is that we fulfill our responsibilities.
3. OR WE MAY LOSE THE BLESSINGS WE HAVE!( Heb. 3:12-15 ).