A. PAUL'S PAST LIFE WAS SUCCESSFUL( Gal. 1:13-14; Phil. 3:4-6 ).
B. KNOWLEDGE OF JESUS WAS MORE HIGHLY PRIZED( Phil. 3:7-8 ).
C. WHY IS A KNOWLEDGE OF JESUS SO GREAT? HOW DO WE GET IT?
A. IT MUST BE A PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE.
1. Another person's acquaintance with Him is not sufficient.
2. We learn about Jesus from others, especially the authors of the New
Testament, but we must come to know Him for ourselves.
a. Paul spoke in the first person: "that I may know Him" ( Phil. 3:10 ).
b. The "faith of our fathers" must become OUR faith, for God does not
have any "grandchildren."
B. IT MUST BE AN "INTELLIGENT" KNOWLEDGE.
1. A knowledge of Jesus is based on a thoughtful consideration of evidence
( John 20:30-31 ).
2. Paul, with the rest of the apostles used what( Acts 18:4; 2 Tim. 1:12 ).
3. His desire that we understand and explain( 1 Pet. 3:15 ).
C. IT MUST BE AN "AFFECTIONATE" KNOWLEDGE.
1. To know Him, is to love Him.
2. Indeed, I am accursed if I do not!( 1 Cor. 16:22 ).
3. Our love comes from knowledge( 1 John 4:8-10,19 ).
D. IT WILL BE A "SATISFYING" KNOWLEDGE.
1. The Bread of Life Water of Life( John 4:13; 6:35 ).
2. Figures showing that he satisfies most basic needs( Matt. 9:36 ).
E. IT WILL BE AN "EXCITING" KNOWLEDGE.
1. In Him "are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge"( Col. 2:3 ).
3. "In Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily"( Col. 2:9; John 14:7 ).
4. We are "complete in Him"( Col. 2:10 ).
F. IT WILL BE A "HAPPY" KNOWLEDGE.
1. For in Him is the key to joy despite all our circumstances( Phil. 4:4-5 ).
2. We may have tribulation, but in Christ we can have joy!( John 16:33 ).
A. THE WORD OF GOD IS ESSENTIAL.
1. The only accurate source for learning about Jesus is the Word of God.
2. Movies, books, magazines, etc., written by men can be entertaining and
sometimes instructive; but such are often filled with erroneous concepts.
3. Wrong to limit our search for knowledge about Jesus to the four gospels.
a. The Old Testament contains prophecies( Isa. 9:6-7; Micah 5:2 ).
b. Acts is the only history we have of the early years of His church.
c. The epistles reveal much about His present work as our King and High
Priest( Heb. 2:17-18; 4:14-16; 1 Pet. 3:22; Rev. 1:5-6 ).
4. If you wish to truly learn of Jesus, you must study the Bible!
B. OBEDIENCE IS ESSENTIAL.
1. "True knowledge" of Jesus comes only as we obey Him( 1 John 2:1-6 ).
2. And as we develop the character He displayed, which is the goal of all His
commandments( 2 Pet. 1:5-8 ).
a. Note that it is only when these Christ-like qualities are "yours and
abound" can it be said that we are "neither barren nor unfruitful in the
knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ"( vs. 8 ).
b. This is what it really means to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our
Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."( 2 Pet. 3:18 ).
A. HAVE YOU COME TO KNOW THE EXCELLENCE OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF JESUS?
B. JESUS INVITES ALL TO KNOW HIM( Matt. 11:28-30 ).