A. THOSE WHO BELONG TO JESUS MUST BE ZEALOUS OF GOOD WORKS.
B. FEW ARE ZEALOUS AS THEY SHOULD BE.
C. WHAT IS ZEAL? zelos, "intense enthusiasm, as in working for a
cause; ardent fervor or devotion..."( Webster ).
Zeal implies enthusiasm for an object or cause, usually displayed in vigorous
and untiring activity in support of that cause.
D. THE BIBLE SAYS A LOT ABOUT ZEAL.
A. THE ZEAL OF MOSES( Ex. 32:1-20 ) ANGER AND DESTRUCTION!
B. THE NEW TESTAMENT JEWS.
1. Zeal of self-esteem( Mat. 23:1-7 ).
2. Zeal of power & hypocrisy( Mat. 23:13-15, 23-26, 27-36 ).
3. Some were sincere in their zeal, but( Rom. 10:1-3 ).
C. APOLLOS WAS ZEALOUS BUT WRONG( Acts 18:24-28 ).
D. PETER WAS ZEALOUS FOR THE LORD, BUT:
1. His zeal was thoughtless( Mat. 17:1, 4, 7 ).
2. It wrought violence( John 18:10-11 ).
3. It was shallow & short lived( Luke 22:31-34; 54-62 ).
1. Look what his zeal moved him to do( Acts 22:1-5 ).
2. 1 Tim. 1:12-13. Ignorance and unbelief.
A. NOTICE THE ZEAL OF PAUL WHEN HE LEARNS THE TRUTH.
1. In his teaching( Acts 20:20-31 ).
2. In his attitude toward suffering( 2 Cor. 4:7-12; 12:15 ).
3. In his commitment to the Gospel( Gal. 2:20; 2 Tim. 1:12 ).
B. THERE WAS A CHANGE IN PETER, TOO( Acts 2; 4:19-20; 5:29-32, 41 ).
C. WE ARE TO BE ZEALOUS OF GOOD WORKS. HOW WAS THAT ZEAL
SHOWN IN NT TIMES.
1. In their work in the word( Acts 5:42; 8:1, 4 ).
2. In their love for one another( 1 Pet. 1:22; Heb. 10:32-35 ).
3. In examining the Scriptures( Acts 17:11 ).
4. In assembling & fellowship( Acts 2:42-47 ).
D. WE ARE TO HAVE ZEAL IN THESE AREAS, TOO. DO WE?
A. AT EPHESUS( Rev. 2:2-4 ).
B. AT SARDIS( 3:1-3 ).
C. AT LAODICEA( 3:15-19 ).
A. HOW IMPORTANT IS THE WORK OF THE CHURCH TO YOU?
B. THE SACRIFICE OF JESUS?
C. GOING TO HEAVEN?
D. NO ONE WILL DRIFT INTO HEAVEN.