A. IMPORTANT OFFICE IN THE ORGANIZATION.
B. RARELY STUDIED OR GIVEN MUCH THOUGHT.
A. NOT AN OVERSEER OF THE LORDS BODY.
B. USED IN 2 SENSES CONTEXT DETERMINES.
1. The general sense: diako, one who executes the commands of another, minister
a. It implies active service.
b. Some passages where it is used this way( Eph. 6:21; Col. 1:7; 1 Tim. 4:6;
John 12:26; Matt. 22:13 ).
2. Special sense ( Phil. 1:1 ). Distinguished from saints, qualifications( Text ).
A. NOT THE SAME AS AN ELDER. HIS WORK IS HELD IN CONTRAST.
1. Deacon is a minister or servant, Elders are overseers.
2. Deacons work under the leadership of elders.
B. DEACONS HOLD SPECIAL OFFICES TO ADMINISTER PARTICULAR JOBS.
C. SUCH IS THE CASE IN Acts 6:1-6.
1. These men selected to relieve the Apostles in work of benevolence.
2. Selected by the congregation, then approved by the apostles.
D. THE PERFORMANCE OF THE WORK FOR WHICH THEY WERE SELECTED
CONSTITUTED THE FULL MEASURE OF THEIR RESPONSIBILITY.
1. No authority elsewhere.
2. Can do other jobs Philip and Stephen.
3. What happens when their job is finished?
1. Not double tongued neither a liar or hypocrite.
2. Not given to much wine.
3. Not greedy for money.
1. Grave, sober-minded responsibility of job and influence.
2. Holding the mystery of faith in a pure conscience.
3. Let these also be proved Not a novice.
4. Blameless( Titus 2:6-8; Phil. 2:15-16 ).
5. Husband of one wife not a polygamist or divorcee.
6. Ruling their children and their own houses well. Distributive sense? Probably.
a. He rules, not his wife.
b. Plurality of children.
c. Does not refer to them as believers.
7. vs. 11. Not talking about deacons wives they are discussed in vs. 12.
a. No connection with Rom. 16:1-2 where word is used in general sense.
b. What about women who have special jobs in the church?
ii. Check writers.
iv. Special needs. Funerals, and food, some benevolence jobs, cleaning.
8. Of honest or good report.
9. Full of the Spirit bearing fruit in his life( Gal. 5:22-24 ).
10. Full of wisdom a man of prudence and sound judgment.
A. THE DEACON IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE CHURCH.
B. SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES!
1. Must be dependable.
2. Must be qualified.
3. Must have work.
C. ALL OF US ARE DEACONS IN THE GENERAL USAGE!