A. THE ORIGIN OR SOURCE OF ANY BOOK IS GOING TO DETERMINE A
GREAT DEAL OUR INTEREST AND ATTITUDE IN STUDYING.
1. Many books. Only one is inspired.
2. Where this fact is denied or minimized, the Bible is no longer studied with
care or quoted with authority.
B. WE BELIEVE THE BIBLE IS INSPIRED. WHAT IS INVOLVED?
A. 2 Tim. 3:16. WHAT DOES THE PHRASE "INSPIRED OF GOD" MEAN?
1. theopneustos, theo - God, pneustos - breathed.
2. Origin in the mouth of God.
B. INSPIRATION REFERS TO THE PROCESS IN WHICH GOD USES A HUMAN
BEING TO CONVEY HIS WORDS TO OTHERS BY EITHER WRITING OR
A. GOD SPEAKS TO US THROUGH JESUS( Heb. 1:1-2 ).
1. Jesus was not presumptuous( John 12:49 ).
2. He declares God's will and character( John 1:18 ).
B. JESUS SPEAKS THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT.
1. Promised to the apostles( John 14:26; 16:12-13 ).
2. Reality in the New Testament era... as in no other.
a. Prophets dilemma( 1 Pet. 1:10-12 ).
b. Constituted a mystery( 1 Cor. 2:6-9; Eph. 3:5 ).
c. Complete in the apostles( 1 Cor. 2:10-12; Eph. 3:3-5; 1 Pet. 1:12 ).
C. THE HOLY SPIRIT SPEAKS THROUGH THE APOSTLES.
1. "Which things we speak"( 1 Cor. 2:13 ).
2. "As I wrote before in few words"( Eph. 3:3 ).
3. "Which have been announced unto you."( 1 Pet. 1:12 ).
D. INSPIRED MEN NOT GIVEN THOUGHT AND THEN LEFT TO DECIDE FOR
THEMSELVES WHAT TO SAY.
1. 2 Pet. 1:20-21. 1 Cor. 2:13.
2. Every word is important!
A. WE HAVE THE MIND OF CHRIST( 1 Cor. 2:16 ).
B. WE MAY PERCEIVE PAUL'S UNDERSTANDING( Eph. 3:3-4, 8-9 ).
C. WE MAY STAND COMPLETE( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
A. ZECHARIAH LOOKS FORWARD( Zech 13 ).
1. Context( 12:10 è John 19:37 == 13:7 è Matt. 26:31 ).
2. Discussing the time for Jesus to be crucified. In That Day.
a. Fountain for sin and uncleanness( vs. 1 ).
b. Prophets and the unclean spirit( vs. 2 ff. ).
B. PAUL SPEAKS OF THAT TIME( 1 Cor. 13 ).
1. Love is the greatest gift( vs. 1-7 ).
2. Love is contrasted with other gifts( vs. 8ff.).
3. Miracles to cease. When? Examine Paul's reasoning.
4. Faith, hope, and love argument of verse 13.
5. Complete knowledge claimed( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
C. ONCE FOR ALL( Jude 3 ).
1. Same Greek phrase( Heb. 7:27; 10:10-13 ).
2. One time for all time.
A. GOD'S WILL MADE KNOWN THROUGH JESUS, H.S., AND APOSTLES.
B. TO REJECT THEM IS TO REJECT GOD( Luke 10:16; 1 John 4:6 ).