A. PAUL GOES BACK TO vs. 8, AND TO HIS SUFFERING WHICH MIGHT BE
CONSIDERED A SOURCE OF SHAME.
B. BUT HE IS NOT ASHAMED. WHY NOT?
A. THE ONE BELIEVED - JESUS OF NAZARETH.
1. It was belief in Jesus that moved Paul to preach and endure( 2 Cor. 4:11-14 ).
2. Belief in Jesus is our part in justification( Rom. 5:1-2 ).
3. Saving faith for the Christian is more than acknowledgment( Heb. 11:6 ).
a. It involves believing what the Bible says about God.
b. It is confidence in him and trust - Is Jesus truthful and able?
B. I KNOW HIM, oida, "1. know...suggests fulness of knowledge."( Heb. 11:1 ).
1. substance, assurance, upostasis, "lit. a standing under...hence, the quality
of confidence which leads one to stand under, endure, or undertake anything."
"that steadiness of mind which holds one firm( 2 Cor. 9:4 )'Faith is the title-
deed of things hoped for.'" A.T.Robertson.
2. Conviction, evidence, elegmos, "a proving of( or conviction about )
unseen things." A&G
3. Belief that leaves no room for doubt.
A. "I STAND CONVINCED!" peiqw, "to apply persuasion, to prevail upon or win over,
to persuade, bringing about a change of mind by the influence of reason or moral
B. OUR FAITH IS NOT TO BE BASED ON WISHFUL THINKING. NO LEAP OF
1. Romans 10:17. Faith comes of hearing the word of God.
2. The word is the best evidence( John 20:30-31; 1 John 1:1-4; 2 Pet. 1:16f ).
3. We have reasons for believing what we do( 1 Pet. 3:15 ).
A. THE POWER OF JESUS DEMONSTRATED TIME AND AGAIN.
1. His ability to heal, perform impossible feats, and raise the dead( Acts 2:22 ).
2. Miracles a sign of spiritual powers( Mark 2:10-11 ).
3. We have promise of these spiritual feats
( 1 Cor. 10:13; 2 Pet. 2:9; Phil. 4:4-7 ).
4. And a like promise in our text. phulaxai, "to guard against robbery or any
loss." ATRobertson.( 1 Pet. 1:5; John 10:27-28; Rom. 8:31f. ).
B HIS POWER TO PROTECT IS LIMITED TO THAT WHICH IS COMMITTED.
1. "Literally, 'my deposit,' as in a bank." ATR.
2. Jesus will not guard that which he is not entrusted with.
3. "Commitment" means "given to Jesus."
a. "He leaves all in God's hands with perfect confidence." BWJohnson.
b. Involves a sacrifice of wills( Gal. 2:20; Luke 9:23 ).
c. Involves priority of doing what God wants( 1 Pet. 4:19 ).
d. Jesus is the boss( 1 Pet. 3:15 ).
C. AGAINST THAT DAY. A PREOCCUPATION FOR HEAVEN ( 4:8; 1 Pet. 1:13 ).
A. WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPRESSION OF HOPE.
B. WE CAN ENDURE ANYTHING IF WE WILL COMMIT OURSELVES TO HIM.
C. IS JESUS THE BOSS IN YOUR LIFE?