A. CHARACTER IS IMPORTANT.
1. "The pattern of behavior or personality found in an individual or group;
moral constitution; moral strength, self-discipline, fortitude, etc." (Webster).
2. Text notes the demand for good character.
B. THERE IS A NEED TO CONSIDER SOME FACTS.
A. WHAT WE HOLD TO BE TRUE - BELIEFS.
B. WHAT WE HOLD TO BE IMPORTANT - VALUES.
C. WHAT WE HOLD TO BE RIGHT - ETHICS.
D. ONE FOLLOWS THE OTHER. HOW WELL THESE INTERACT DETERMINES
A. GOD CREATED US.
1. There is a God ( Rom. 1:20 ).
2. God is responsible ( Gen. 1:1, 26; Acts 17:24-25, 28 ).
3. God has a plan ( purpose ) for us ( Ecc. 12:13 ).
B. GOD HAS EXPECTATIONS FOR US.
1. Regarding our lives ( Titus 2:11-12 ).
2. Our disposition toward him ( Heb. 11:5; 12:28; Matt. 22: 37 ).
3. And his Son ( John 3:16; Heb. 5:8-9 ).
C. GOD WILL CALL US INTO ACCOUNT ( Rom. 14:10-12; 3:23 ).
D. GOD'S DESIRE TO BLESS US IS EVIDENT.
1. In creation ( James 1:17 ).
2. In the Plan ( Eph. 2:4-5 ).
A. PRIORITIES ( Matt. 6:33 ).
1. Levi ( Luke 5:27 ).
2. The great pearl ( Matt. 13:44-46 ).
B. SIGNIFICANCE ( Matt. 16:24-26 ).
C. TIME ( James 4:13-17 ).
D. OUR AFFECTIONS AND THOUGHTS ( 1 John 2:15; Matt. 6:19-21 ).
A. THE NEED FOR A STANDARD. A CODE OF CONDUCT.
1. Illustrate with a ruler or tape measure.
2. Chaos of no standard( Judges 21:25; Rom. 1:21-23... 28 ).
B. WE MAY ACCEPT ANY STANDARD.
1. Depends on what we hold to be true and/or important.
2. Man is a free moral agent.
3. Man today has opted for no standard - situation ethics, humanism( Col. 2:8 ).
4. John 18:38. What is truth?
5. Matt. 16:26. What is important?
6. Our view will determine our choice of standards.
C. GOD HAS GIVEN US A STANDARD.
1. The teaching of Jesus ( John 12:48-49; 1:18 ).
2. He holds us to it ( Acts 17:30-31 ). No excuses.
D. MY LIFE AND DECISIONS, NOT INFLUENCED, BUT DETERMINED BY
THE STANDARD( Col. 3:17 ).
E. I CAN KNOW RIGHT AND WRONG( Psa. 119:11 ).
A. WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES?
B. DO WE ALLOW OUR BELIEFS TO EFFECT OUR VALUES?
C. WHAT IS YOUR RELATION TO THE STANDARD?