A. DISCUSSION IN CAMP OF VULGAR WORD.
1. How is the word regarded generally?
2. The evolution of words, their meaning, and their connotations.
3. ( Eph. 4:29; Col. 4:6; Matt. 12:48-50; 15:17-19; 26:73 )Subjective
interpretation of passages.
B. THE MOST DISTURBING THING ABOUT THIS DISCUSSION.
1. Subjectivism and objectivism( Rom. 14 --15:1-3 ).
2. Application to other things.
A. SUBJECTIVISM: "An ethical theory holding that personal attitudes and feelings
are the sole determinants of moral and aesthetic values."
B. OBJECTIVE: "Being, or regarded as being independent of the mind; real; actual."
OBJECTIVISM: "Any of various philosophical doctrines that stress the external,
independent existence of what is perceived or known.
C. IN INTERPRETATION OF LANGUAGE: "What does it mean to you?"
D. THE PURPOSE OF LANGUAGE: "To pass one specific thought from the
head of one person to the head of another intact."
1. The potato ball. Wrong ball.
2. When the hearer fails to apprehend my exact thought, communication has
E. THE PURPOSE OF GOD'S USE OF OUR LANGUAGE:
1. 1 Cor. 2:10-16. We are to have his thoughts.
2. 2 Tim. 3:16-17. We are fully equipped to do his will through the Scriptures.
F. SUBJECTIVE INTERPRETATION MAKES THIS IMPOSSIBLE BY DENYING THAT
IT CAN BE DONE. NO EFFORT MADE.
G. OBJECTIVISM ENCOURAGES CLOSE STUDY BECAUSE APPREHENDING GOD'S
EXACT THOUGHT IS HELD TO BE POSSIBLE, THEREFORE, IT IS THE OBJECT
OF THAT STUDY.
H. Romans 14. THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT ARE NOT REVEALED:
1. By command, By example, Or by inference. Judgment! Good judgment
2.. Has God revealed himself? No room for judgment or scruples.
A. INSTITUTIONS, WAR, VEIL, LANGUAGE, D & R?
B. HAS GOD SPOKEN ON THESE THINGS? HOW CAN WE KNOW(Acts 17:11).
C. IS 2 Tim. 3:16-17 TRUE? CAN I KNOW GOD'S WILL FOR MY DAILY LIFE?