A. WE USED TO HEAR ABOUT DISTINCTIVE PREACHING.
1. Distinctive: “of a feature that helps to distinguish a person or thing.”
2. Distinguish: “implies a recognizing or marking apart from others by special features
or characteristic qualities.” ( Webster )
Also, “to perceive clearly; recognize plainly by any of the senses.”
3. Our preaching was distinct from denominational preaching in its very nature.
B. DISTINCTIVE PREACHING DERIVES FROM RECOGNITION OF A
1. Pattern: tupos “form: Rom 6:17; in the technical sense, viz. the pattern in
conformity to which a thing must be made: Acts 7:44” (Thayer). – Heb. 8:5
2. Pattern: hupotupoosis, “an example, pattern” (Thayer ) – 2 Tim. 1:13
A. THE MORAL SENSE ... FOR OUR DAILY LIVES.
1. The gospel teaches us how to live ( Titus 2:11-12 ).
2. Our lives should be worthy of the pattern ( Phil. 1:27 ).
3. The apostles furnish models that are worthy of imitation ( Phil. 3:17 ). tupos.
4. Evangelists also are to be ensamples ( 1 Tim. 4:12; Titus 2:7).
B. THE TECHNICAL SENSE ... FOR THE CHURCH.
1. The church is built on a particular foundation (1 Cor. 3:11 ).
2. Paul laid the foundation thru the preaching of Jesus ( vs. 10).
3. We must build according to the pattern (vs. 10; Heb. 8:5 ).
C. THE DOCTRINAL SENSE. ... FOR WHAT WE TEACH.
1. Tupos used of a particular teaching ( Rom. 6:17-18 ).
2. Timothy told to hold a distinct body of teaching ( 2 Tim. 1:13 ).
3. When the same pattern is used to produce a dress, the same dress will be produced.
4. If all use the Bible as a pattern for our doctrine, all will speak the same thing
( 1 Cor. 1:10 ).
5. This pattern of teaching gives the church her distinct identity of narture and form.
A. GOING TO THE BIBLE FOR THE PATTERN:
1. What we must believe and do to be saved. The pattern implies that the writings
2. Worship in the church and individually. of the apostles can be identified,
3. The organization and work of the church. understood, & preached today.
4. The pattern is to be followed today.
B. THE ETERNAL PURPOSE OF GOD.
1. God’s purpose in Christ for our salvation is from eternity ( Eph. 1:9-11; 1 Cor. 2:7).
2. The church and its design is a part of that “eternal purpose ( Eph. 3:10-11, 20-21 ).
C. THE APOSTLES’ PATTERN.
1. Jesus’ prayer ( John 17:20-21 ) ...”believe on me through their word.” ONE!
2. The ground of belief and unity of believers rests in the word of the apostles.
3. Their word becomes the pattern.
4. Acts 2:4:42. The early church continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine.
5. 1 Cor. 4:17. “...as I teach everywhere in every church.”
6. 1 Cor. 7:17. “And so I ordain in all the churches.”
7. 1 Cor. 14:34-37. “As in all the churches, ... the commandments of the Lord.”
Paul’s teaching not grounded in cultural practice, but in the Law and creation.
8. 2 Tim. 2:2. “As you have heard from me ...”
9. 1 John 4:1, 6. Teachers judged as their teachings are examined.
The apostle’s teaching is the measuring rod in our judgment.
10. Matt. 28:19-20. What were the apostles’ to teach?
D. THE APOSTLES’ TRADITIONS.
A belief or practice that is handed down.
1. What the apostles received from the Lord by revelation, they delivered to the churches
by inspiration ( 1 Cor. 11:23; 15:3 ).
2. The churches are to hold firmly to the traditions taught by the apostles
( 1 Cor. 11:2; 15:1-2; 2 Thess. 2:15 ).
3. The traditions of the apostles constitute a pattern.
4. They stand in contrast with that which was not received ( Col. 2:8 ).
E. THE PREACHER’S CHARGE.
1. Timothy to charge certain men not to teach another doctrine ( 1 Tim. 1:3 ).
a. Observance of such a charge requires a distinctiveness of doctrine.
b. Paul gave a similar charge to the Romans ( Rom. 16:17 ).
2. Paul’s exhortation to Timothy of the pattern ( 2 Tim. 1:13-14 ). “HOLD” “GUARD”
3. Senseless without a distinct pattern of doctrine.
F. THE FAITH.
1. Eph. 4:4-5. One faith Ř Unity of the faith ( vs. 13 ).
2. Jude 3. Contend for the faith Ř Against error ( vs. 4-5; 2 Pet. 2:1-2 ).
3. We are never taught to negotiate a unity between conflicting beliefs.
4. Unity is established by our loyalty to the common pattern – Scripture ( 1 Cor. 4:6 ).
G. THE TRUTH.
1. Learned as we “... continue in my word ...” ( John 8:31-32 ).
2. Which is God’s word ( John 12:49; 17:17 ).
3. Freedom from sin in obeying the Truth, the Pattern ( 1 Pet. 1:22; Rom. 6:17-18 )
H. THE SEED OF THE KINGDOM ( Luke 8:11 ). THE WORD OF GOD.
1. Each seed contains a distinct pattern ( Gen. 1:11-12 ).
2. The same true spiritually ( Luke 6:44 ). The Word, being seed, is a Pattern.
3. James 1:21. Implanted pattern. What is produced? What if something else is planted?
A. THE BIBLE IS OUR PATTERN – IT MUST BE RECEIVED.
B IT MUST BE OBEYED ( Rom. 6:17-18; James 1:22 ).