A. WE ARE TO BE READY TO GIVE AN ANSWER FOR WHAT WE BELIEVE.
B. WE BELIEVE THE BIBLE, INSPIRED OF GOD, IS THAT REVELATION.
C. THREE REASONS FOR ACCEPTING THE INSPIRATION OF THE BIBLE:
2. The Moral Standard (Matt. 22:37-39).
3. Survival (Mark 13:31).
D. IN THIS LESSON WE FOCUS ON FULFILLED PROPHECY AS EVIDENCE OF THE
A. AS THE LAW BORE WITNESS TO THE NEW COVENANT SO DO THE PROPHETS.
1. The law in "types" as a schoolmaster( Gal. 3:23:25 ).
2. The prophets in proclamations about Jesus( Acts 3:18, 24 ).
B. THERE ARE THREE BASIC DIVISIONS IN OLD TESTAMENT PROPHECIES
1. Historic - vindicates God's justice & proves his existence.
2. Jesus, the Messiah, identifying & describing his role.
3. Kingdom giving hope and revealing God's plan.
C. AS EVIDENCE, WE WANT TO CONCENTRATE ON HISTORICAL PROPHETS.
A. WHAT IS A PROPHET? ( Deut. 18:15-21 ). MY WORDS IN HIS MOUTH.
1. Jesus is God's prophet, God speaks through him( Heb. 1:1-2 ).
2. Who will go and speak for us( Isa. 6:5-9 ).
B. THE ESSENCE OF PROPHECY IS PREDICTIVE.
1. Often connected with a threat or promise( Isa. 1:18-20 ).
2. Contrasted with the pronouncements of false gods( Isa. 41:21-26 ).
D. TEST OF THE PROPHETS ( Deut. 18:15-21 ). Does the prophecy come true?
A. CONCERNING ISRAEL
1. The land promise ( Gen. 15:18: Josh. 23:12-16; 1 Kings 4:21 ).
2. Israel's downfall ( Deut. 28:1-6, 15-19 ).
a. A king( vs. 36 ).
b. Fierce captors speak a strange tongue ( vs 49-51 ).
c. Siege, cannabalism, death ( vs. 52-57 ). Literally fulfilled 3 times.
g. Great suffering and captivity ( vs. 65-68 ).
3. The restored remnant.
a. Obedience would bring about a restoration( Deut. 30:1-10 ).
b. A remnant would be left( Isa. 10:20-23; Jer. 23:1-4 ).
c. Seventy years would be the limit of their captivity( Jer. 25:11-12).
B. CONCERNING THE NATIONS - Although in a special way the Scriptures have to do
with the history of the Jews, they by no means ignore the nations among whom Israel was
cast. The fulfilled prophecies concerning Israel with the prophecies concerning the nations
stand as testimony to the inspiration of the Scriptures and the proof that God is indeed the
true and living God.
1. Babylon( Isa. 13:1 - 14:27; Jer. 50-51 ).
a. Entirely overthrown - as Sodom and Gomorrah( Isa. 13:17-21).
b. Never inhabited again( Isa. 13:20).
c. Isa. 44:24 - 45:1-7.
2. Tyre( Isa. 23; Ez. 26:1 - 28:19; Zech 9:3-4 ).
a. Nebudchudnezzar to destroy the city( Ez. 26:7-11 ).
b. Taken and destroyed again( Ez. 27:32; Zech. 9:3-4 ).
c. Many nations against Tyre( Ez. 26:3 ).
d. Fishermen dry their nets there( vs. 5 ).
e. Debris thrown into the water( vs. 12 ).
f. Never rebuilt( vs. 13-14 ).
g. Never found again( vs. 21 ).
3. Concerning Ishmael( Gen. 16:10-12; 17:20 ).
Jesus said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my word shall never pass away"(
Mark 13:31 ). We believe the word of God is in our possession right now. We believe it
is complete( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ). We believe it is indeed what it claims to be( 1 Thes. 2:13 ).
We believe it to be verbally inspired( 1 Cor. 2:13, 16 ).
THE BIBLE IS GOD’S COMMUNICATION, HIS REVELATION TO MAN.