A. THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON OF MAN -- THE TONGUE.
1. It can save souls.
2. It can destroy souls.
B. THE SAME TONGUE CAN DO BOTH, BUT TO ITS OWN LOSS.
C. GOSSIP IS A WEAPON OF THE TONGUE..
A. ( Webster ). "Indulge in idle talk or rumors about others."
B. IDLE TALK. WHY DO WE ENGAGE IN IT?
1. Nothing else to do ( Eph. 4:29; 2 Thess. 3:11; Col 4:5-6 ).
2. We all want to be important ( Rom. 12:3; Matt. 20:26-27 ).
3. Women are warned ( 1 Tim. 5:11-15 ).
4. God's attitude ( 1 Pet. 4:15; Matt. 12:35-37 ).
C. RUMORS, MALICIOUS IN NATURE, NOT NECESSARILY UNTRUE.
1. May develop from idle talk ( Prov. 26:20 ).
2. No love here - connected with jealousy and faction ( James 3:13-16 ).
3. Jealousy and faction result from carnality ( 1 Cor. 3:1-3 ).
4. Other evils beside gossip ( James 3:14-16 ).
5. Gossip is condemned ( Prov. 6:12-19; 10:12, 14, 18, 19; 11:9; 26:22-28;
Col. 3:8-9; Rom. 1:28-32; 2 Cor. 12:20 ).
6. Such brings about the destruction of all ( Gal. 5:15 ).
D. WHAT IF THE TALE ISN'T TRUE? ( John 8:44; Rev. 21:8 ).
E. GOD'S CURE FOR GOSSIP ( 1 Thess. 4:9-12 ).
A. BEFORE ONE CAN DEAL WITH SIN IN THE LIFE OF A BROTHER, HE MUST
DEAL WITH THE SIN IN HIS OWN LIFE ( Matt. 7:1-5 ).
B. BUT LOVE FOR OUR BROTHER WILL CAUSE US TO MOVE TO WARN HIM OF
HIS SIN, ALSO, AS WE WOULD WARN OF HIM OF DANGER ( James 5:19-20 ).
HERE ARE SOME PASSAGES:
1. Gal. 6:1-2:
- any trespass
- ye who are spiritual
- Look to thyself.
2. Matt. 18:15-17:
- YOU take the initiative
- Sometimes with other's help.
- Too many go through the formality of speaking to their brother who has done
them wrong with no intention of being reconciled, perhaps so that it might
be said that every effort was made.
3. Heb. 3:12-13.
- Take heed. Watchfulness on the part of all.
- Lest there be in any one of you. Personal responsibility for my brother's soul.
"Am I my brother's keeper?"
- An evil heart of unbelief. What leads to sin? ( 1 Pet. 1:5 ).
- What do we do when we see our brother sin? ( Gal. 5:13-15; Jas 3:7-10 ).
- What ought we to do? ( Heb. 3:13 ) Exhort one another.
- The importance of exhortation - lest anyone of you become hardened
( Heb. 6:4-6 ).
A. THOSE WHO USE THE TONGUE ARE CONTRASTED WITH THE WISE IN
B. James 3:12-18.