A. vs. 1. A STRANGE INSTRUCTION.
1. The need for teachers (Matt. 9:36-38).
2. God’s plan for saving the world (Mark 16:15-16; 2 Tim. 2:2).
B. THE GRAVITY OF SUCH AN ENDEAVOR.
1. We speak for God (Rom. 10:13-15).
2. We must speak the truth (Matt. 15:13-14).
3. Our lives must be consistent (Rom. 2:1-3, 17-24).
C. vs. 2. THO ALL SIN, TEACHERS MUST BE CAREFUL ABOUT THEIR SPEECH.
1. A sign of Spiritual maturity – perfection.
2. We are to exercise self control in “all things.”
A. ILLUSTRATIONS OF ITS POWER.
1. The horse’s bridle (vs. 3) Turns the whole body.
2. Compared to the wind, and the ship itself, how big is a rudder (vs. 4)
3. The flame of a match (vs. 5).
“Behold, how much wood is kindled by how small a fire!”
B. GOOD AND EVIL.
1. The salvation of the world (Rom. 10:13-15).
2. The destruction of so many (vs. 6, 8)
C. THE DIFFICULTY OF TAMING THE TONGUE (7-12)
1. vs. 7-8. Despite being able to tame wild animals, man is unable to tame the tongue!
2. HYPERBOLE. It is true that no MAN (by himself) can tame the tongue
a. But with GOD'S help, we can tame it (Psa. 141:3)
b. And with GOD'S help, we MUST tame it (Eph. 4:29; Col. 4:6).
3. General Application! č blessing God and cursing men (James 9-10)
“My brethren, these things ought not so to be.”
4. Our behavior should be consistent with our calling (Eph. 4:1).
5. It will be consistent with our character (James 3:11-12; Matt. 12:33-37).
A. CRUDE AND VULGAR SPEECH.
1. Foolish jesting (Eph. 3:3-5).
2. How did Peter deny Jesus? (Matt. 26:73-74; Prov. 15:2).
1. Satan is the Father of Liars (John 8:44).
2. The fate of all liars (Rev. 21:8).
3. There are different ways to deceive – With the Same Results!
C. GOSSIP (Lev. 19:16; 1 Tim. 5:13).
D. ANGRY WORDS (James 1:19-20).
E. THE SLANDERER(Prov. 6:12-19).
1. False witness.
2. Sower of Discord (3 John 9-10).
Prate. "To bring unjustified charges against, malicious gossip, unfounded rumors."
3. 2 Cor. 12:20. Whisperer. psithurismos "Lit. to speak into one's ear (in an evil
sense); hence, secret slander, backbiting." (Thayer and Vine).
Backbiters. katalalos - "To slander, to speak evil of, to backbite; synonymous to
whisperer only more open."
4. Gal. 5:12-15, 19-21.
1. gonguzoo; to murmur, mutter, grumble, say anything in a low tone (Thayer).
2. Caused Israel to fall in the wilderness (1 Cor. 10:10; Phil. 2:14-15).
1. “To praise too much, untruly, or insincerely, as in order to win favor; to try to
please, or ingratiate oneself with, by praise and attention.” – (Webster).
2. Paul would not use it (1 Thess. 2:5-6).
3. Who do we please (Gal. 1:10), and why? (Jude 16).
A. Matthew 12:36-37. WE WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT WE SAY.
B. WE MUST REALIZE THE POWER OF OUR SPEECH.
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.